Welcome to our Mardi Gras parade. I must warn you though while you may enjoy jumping up to catch beads, doubloons, cups, stuffed animals--whatever! Please yell at the float riders "Throw me something, Mister!" Bring a large, sturdy plastic or cloth bag to hold all the treasure you'll be catching - if you try to put all of your beads around your neck, you'll have a hard time standing up straight! Be prepared: some people get so overcome with excitement they will occasionally jump in front of you to grab what a rider has thrown to you. Don't get into a tug-o-war....there are many more floats on the way! If you're from far away, some visitors hold up a sign saying where they are from.. our local riders love to see people from far away have a good time and will throw to them to make sure they do!
The colors of Mardi Gras are: Purple which represents justice; Green which represents faith; and Gold which represents power.Mardi Gras is always held the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is music, parades, picnics, floats, excitement ... and one big holiday in New Orleans! Everyone is wearing purple, green, and gold; and adorned with long beads caught from the beautiful floats. They sit on the ground throwing balls, playing music, having a picnic, and watching the crowds walk by between parades.
Instead of beads, coconuts (which apparently is the most prized throw from floats) and other baubles, we have a great sponsor:
- $15 Gift Card for Treasure Box Designs (http://www.treasureboxdesigns.com/). They are asking you to stop by their blog and become a follower of their blog at http://treasureboxdesigns.blogspot.com/. They are having issues with their blog at this time but asking you become a follower!
- $50 Gift card from Anita Meadows Cannon
Sew, sit back with your beverage of choice, just keep in mind the police will be in full force watching for drunken lewdness as this is a family event! Feel free to watch in costume, as this is a festive hop!! If you have arrived from Haidee's Blog on the parade route, then you are sitting at the best seat in the house! If you have just happened to be visiting me today, don't get me wrong as I always love visitors, I would love for you to start at the beginning of our parade route at Lynne, your hostess, at http://slasewcraftiness.blogspot.com/ along with our marvelous co-hostess, Kimberly, at http://scrappingrookie.blogspot.com/.
What is a party without some fun decorations. I created a centerpiece along with a handheld mask
The box was cut from "Sweet Treat Boxes" at fit to page in purple Recollections card stock The Harlequin paper is from a digi file I purchased from Scrap Girls and printed with my printer as are the crown Fleur-de -Lis and the coins. The picture I found on the Internet don't recall where. but love it!
For the mask I used "Chick and Scary" to cut it out on some Recollection specialty paper trimmed with emerald colored bling, Feathers and some paper flowers from Michael's dollar bins, added some golds,. green and purple ribbon from my stash. Hope you enjoy my project I had fun making it except for the Hot Glue gun part I'm all thumbs when it comes to glue guns!
Hope enjoyed my float in the parade. To continue on the parade route, Your next stop is Ashley
Here is a complete list of the participants just in case you loose your way!
- Lynne - http://slasewcraftiness.blogspot.com/
- Edwina ~ http://edwinascreations.blogspot.com/
- Kimberly Pate ~ http://scrappingrookie.blogspot.com/
- Inga Klaus ~ http://mommahobbit.blogspot.com/
- Kari - http://purplefuntastickcreations.blogspot.com/
- Dena - http://missdjones.blogspot.com/
- Gill - http://creationsbygillm.blogspot.com/
- Janet S - http://www.ladyluvbug.blogspot.com/
- Ashley - http://theglamoroussideofscrapping.blogspot.com/
- Lisa Woodward ~ http://mycraftyspaces.blogspot.com/
- Rhonda - http://craftingwithblue.blogspot.com/
- Anita` http://www.anitaandbugs.blogspot.com/
- Katie ~ http://www.ktsangels.blogspot.com/
- Theresa - http://scrappinginheels.blogspot.com/
- Susan - http://susanascorner.blogspot.com/
- Laura- www.lauraleesdream.blogspot.com/
- Jearise - http://lorbysworld.blogspot.com/
Big Blog Hugs, Janet